Monday, November 9, 2009

Knee Deep in Renovations

This morning when I woke up, I immediately contacted all of the utilities to have them transferred to my name. The city told me the water would be turned off briefly tomorrow then turned back on. Well, they apparently decided to turn it off today instead, and for the whole day. We had no water, and no toilet. This got to be interesting as we ended up having 6 adults and 3 children working on the home. We came up with a system of buckets under each downspout as it poured down rain and if anybody had to use the toilet we'd have to pour a bucket of water in the tank to get it to flush. Good times had by all.

Work today started with the guys knocking out the kitchen soffett.

Dan was in the attic making sure no insulation fell through the old vent hole when an Pepsi can came cascading down onto his brother's head. It is very old and appears to be from the 60's or 70's. I wonder if the original construction guys left it up there? We also found a great old tin frying pan that will proudly hang on the wall. It's gorgeous, and I forgot to take a picture of it.
Next on the agenda was ripping out the bathroom walls. The original construction had put up sheet rock and laid the tile directly onto it with nothing to protect it from the moisture. Thus. Mold.
The bathroom cabinets are out, tomorrow we'll rip out these soffett's as well!
Later in the day we kicked the boys out and made them take the kids home with them. While my daughter was getting a bath, my sister in law and I finally got to do something. Prime! The orange in the hallway is finally gone! And we dug straight into the family room's wooden paneling.


Good Times!


The primer still looks terrible and needs a second coat. We also didn't even get to the edges and lines in between. Hopefully we'll get to that in the next day or two. Then we'll install a chair rail and fill in the lines on the upper half, creating fake wainscoting. Let's hope it doesn't look too terrible. The image in my head is fabulous of course!
And of course, I had to cart all of the painting supplies home to wash them in my tub... where there was water :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you and I check all of my posts for comments. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them! Thank you for reading my blog!